Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Pig Honey Marinade and Spray

I am rewriting a post from Bob's Brew and Que, as I believe it is an excellent example of what I intend the direction of this blog to be. It is the recipe and process of Pig Honey. This is an early attempt, on my part, to use the benefits of fish sauce and the umami it imparts to the traditional rib cookery more familiar to American palates. I wanted to take advantage of the focus in Asia in the umami flavor while using ingredients and flavors that could be difference makers in my cooking.


As you can see above, the combination of ingredients really adds a fine glaze and some interesting colors to a rack of ribs. Although originally called Pig Honey, I found this marinade and 'mop' worked great on chicken.


Initial reports from other cooks is that the sugar profile was a little light and they did not get quite the same level of glazing. As stated previously, this is just a starting point for what I believe will become a versatile flavor tool in my continuing efforts to bridge my ideas of what Pacific Rim BBQ will be about.

Pig Honey Sauce
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup Red Boat Fish Sauce
1/4 cup Braggs Amino Acids
1/8 cup Honey
1 Tablespoon turbinado sugar

Combine all ingredients and bring to just short of a boil, maintain heat until sugar is dissolved.  See above for use.  I believe it is important not to boil this mixture as I believe the boil process will cause the proteins to denature and not function in the manner I want it to work.  I have also become aware of the loss of character that fish sauce can suffer when excessively boiled.  I am starting to think it needs to be added late in the cooking process, although I have not discussed this with any scientists.

No comments:

Post a Comment